[Ubuntu-ch] Kubuntu Swiss-french keys

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Mon Aug 22 17:21:33 UTC 2011

Hi Pablo,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:20, Pablo Vegezzi <pvegezzi at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Swiss,
> I am starting with Ubuntu, more precisely with Kubuntu 11.04. If I can
> collaborate with Ubuntu Swiss, tell me.

If you subscribed to this list you already did the first step. Te wiki
page (accessible through http://ubuntu-ch.org) will be the next one :)

> I work on a desktop with a classic wide keyboard of 104 keys of Swiss-french
> type. The original OS is Windows XP and by disk partition and dual-boot
> system I installed Kubuntu 11.04.
>
> My problem in Kubuntu is to get characters like:
> @ € # [ ] { } < > \ / ...

In Kubuntu, just open the SystemSettings and first make sure you set
your locale correctly, e.g. the system language (SystemSettings in the
startup menu -> Locale).
To set your keyboard layout correctly, still in System Settings, go to
the entry "Input Devices" and there you will be in the Keyboard
section by default. You can choose specific hardware in the first tab,
the second tab is for the layout. I suggest you choose both the
Swiss-German and the Swiss-French layout with a distinctive name (I
use chd and chf). You can add as many layouts you want, and since you
also write in Spanish, add a third one for Spanish.

The layout change will show up in the SysTray section of the panel
where a simple click allows you to change the layout. You can also add
shortcuts for this of course, just make sure you so not use already
existing global shortcuts for it.

The characters above are all accessible on a Swiss keyboard with the
AltGr key and should be printed on the keyboard, < and > are the
leftmost key next to the shift key, \ is there as well and / is just
above the 7. What might not be printed on older keyboards is the €
which you can obtain by combining AltGr+E, the German ß is accessible
with AltGr+S, µ is AltGr+M. ~ is also accessible with AltGr+^ (it is
the rightmost key next to the backspace), followed by the character
you want to put it on.

The "Advanced" tab section gives you access to even more keyboard
specifications.

Hope this helps :)

If you have more specific Kubuntu/KDE questions, the forum
http://forum.kde.org might be a good place to look at, there also is a
Spanish forum there.

Kind regards from Germany from a Swiss expat

Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org