thunderbird

C cvillaco at ymail.com
Wed Mar 15 20:10:24 UTC 2017

Also offering  and supporting thunderbird, offers people choice.

Thudnerbrd is a proven platform, many people use thunder bird, a desktop
email, client is expected with a desktop, many legacy business use it,
it's also probably a better-to-see for responsible reasons thing to do
than gmail.  It probably satisfies, more general use cases than the
gmail application.

Thunderbird it`s open source and free to use and mod with local file,
afaik, unlike the advertisement driven google, it`s probably more
robust. and impartial to which services you use.  And that peopel are
used to using it, and dont want to run the excersises of change, without
there being proven benefits, absolutely, i have no reason to want for
change right now.  if a user has been using thunderbird for their email
client for 15 years, why would you expect a distro to suddenly want to
force them to change their happy well served, regular routine, by having
removed the programs from a distro?  and inpalce some application which
proably doesnt support thier use cases as well.  that would probbly be a
diservice for people, no?  especially if user have nothing to gain
personally, but exercise for some interest party?  People use local copy
email clients, even on mobile devices, and dont necessarily want to be
involved with google, for any large variety of reasons.. so i guess.

I agree with another preson, who said gmail as wonderfuly when it
premiered, as a cloud based web app, suddenly there was a big service
provider offering, (was it a gig?) lots of cloud storage compared to
other popular service providers.  and yes there is a gmail client.  but
does it support cross platform to say, windows xp?  Google goes where
told said to go by handshaking partners, imo.

Also, thunderbird doesn't collect and sell any information from you, as
far as i know,.  because thunder bird has no information to give, afaik,
except which ip`s originally downloaded an exe at some point.  So you
might ask, whats more important to the distro management group, pushing
an agenda, or making less hassle for users?  even if there i a duplicate
application, if it`s causing less work for a good deal of users,
continue to support it, i say, and make it easy to serve users, or cost
users by removing it, i would suspect.  But of course, i don`t draw up
plans for whats included in distro`sm so i cant say for certain, and I'm
not sure why your asking in this channel...