Vermont anti-patent troll legislation[possible OT for ca or ubuntu]

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Tue May 28 14:11:46 UTC 2013

Richard,

the law reported on is more a consumer protection law. States have
no jurisdiction inb regard of patents or copyright which is handled
on federal level (similarily in Canada, provinces have no jurisdiction).

They way it works is that if someone is sending frivolous cease and
desists letters or letters to pressure to buy a licence for something
that has no chance to succeed in court, it is considered a form
of consumer fraud. Since the state  can  deal with consumer fraud,
they can fine such a troll.

So, it has not a lot to do with IP or Open Source, or at least more
than that users of Open Source cann also be considered consumers.

Hope this help,
Ralph