Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 04:23:27 UTC 2008

Hi, Kevin!

At the moment, I am guessing that the computer is trying to boot from
your hard drive. As you mention, that hard drive is blank, so the error
makes sense. When a computer tries to boot, it checks for available
media to boot from in a particular order. Whichever drive is first found
to exist, it chooses that one and tries to start an operating system
from it.

In your case, the first drive it looks at is the hard drive, and so it
tries to boot from there. To get your computer to boot from the CD, you
need to manually instruct it to boot from there. Generally, this can be
done by pressing Escape or F10 when the computer first starts. A list
appears, where you can select the CD drive using the arrow keys.

If that does not give you anything (sadly possible), check for any
information in the first startup screen. You may need to enter the BIOS
settings (almost always F8), where you can change the order to check
devices to boot from manually. Move the CD drive above the hard drive
and the problem should be (again) solved. Try the first solution first,
though, since it's considerably quicker to deal with.

Good luck,
-Dylan