Printers and scanners installation

Don and/or Mila Trombley donmila at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 12 08:43:39 UTC 2007

I have a HP deskjet 930c printer and a Hp Scanjet 4300c which I wish to
install.
When I tried to type in:
sudo apt-get install build-essential python2.4-dev python2.4-qt3
libcupsys2-dev libsnmp9-dev libipeg62-dev lsb libtoolsautomake1.9
libusb-dev   <enter>

Notes: Xubuntu 6.1 reports: package Python 2.4-dev is not available, but
is referred to by another package. this may mean that the package is
missing, has been obsoleted,
or, is only available  from another source.  However the following
packages replace it:   python2.4
E: Package  python2.4-dev has no installation candidate. et  al........I
retyped the lines with the suggested recommendations,....and still end
up with more of the same.
So, what can I do to get these things working?