Backward Compatability?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 6 18:10:06 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Francois-Denis Gonthier <neumann at lostwebsite.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:18, Alfred wrote:
> > Hi: I have a number of DVDs of all the software on LTS 6.06-1
> > Repositories. Is this software backwards compatible with Ubuntu 5.10?
> > Or do I need to download software made for 5.10, separately. I have a
> > very slow Internet Connection. It takes hours just to download one
> > program, of moderate size.
> >
> > Alfred!
>
> It is unlikely any of those packages will work.  They are probably linked with
> a different glibc version and so it's unlikely any will want to install
> without fully updating the system.  Forcing the package to install is
> possible but painful and does not offer any guarantees.  You might break your
> old system doing that also.
>
> I suggest you upgrade your old systems, or stick with the old repositories.

one thing to remember is that 5.10 (released in October 2005) is only
officially supported for 18 months.  So it will reach its official
end-of-life (i.e., no more security updates) sometimes around April.

Since you already have the 6.06-1 DVD, you might think about upgrading
that 5.10 computer sooner than later to 6.06.

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille