DUAL BOOT -- 6.10/7.04 Herd 4?

Jean-Francois Messier jf at messier.ca
Thu Feb 22 17:50:41 UTC 2007

I had similar booting issues on my laptop with Ubuntu vs Vista and XP.
When I installed Vista and then Ubuntu, everything was fine. But when I
installed XP over Vista, Ubuntu and Grub just disappeared. I read around
for solutions about this, as I know that Ubuntu was still there, as I
used separate partitions. I even managed to boot frmo a grub floppy,
manually enter all parameters and boot into Ubuntu. But I could not use
grub-install to restore grub and get back access to Ubuntu. I installed
a brand new Ubuntu in a spearate partition, which properly overwrote
the boot record. It found also the XP and the other original Ubuntu
6.10.

Booting from the original Ubuntu, I took the menu.lst file, and put it
in place of the one from the fresh Ubuntu, temporarily. I ran
grub-install frmo there, and Bingo. I now had the original Ubuntu
available as well as the new Windows. I just relabeled "Windows Vista"
to "Winblows and ran the grub-install. The variousinstructions I found
on the net about grub-isntall wiw not seem to work fine. Bt the
temporary install of another Ubuntu on another partition did the trick
for me.

Jean-Francois Messier
Ottawa