Getting approved

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 05:43:27 UTC 2006

On 12/17/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
> Corey Burger wrote:
> > Look, if we don't fix our roadmap we will not get approved. There are
> > currently 500  Edgy cds we are missing out on, which we will not get
> > until we get approved. Step up people.
> >

> I don't quite understand what's going on. At very least, the lingo is
> somewhat obscure.
>
> What is a LoCo and what is the benefit of being one?

A LoCo team is a "Local Community" team. Essentially a group of Ubuntu
users within a specific geographic area that band together to help
each other and promote Ubuntu.

> What are its goals, and what is expected of it such that a roadmap is an
> impediment to LoCo-ism?
At the last Community Council meeting, they liked us, said we had lots
of great people, etc, except we needed a more concrete roadmap: We
needed to layout what we, as a team, were going to do, specifically,
with people's names attached to it.

> The current roadmap seems obsessed with getting media contacts.

Simply because promotion is big part of being a loco team.

> Shouldn't there be a concern about doing something newsworthy  before
> worrying about  building a media list?

We are doing something newsworthy, we are building a distro. Remember,
this is news not only about Ubuntu in Canada, but also Ubuntu in
general.

> After all, you have on this mailing list a columnist for Computing
> Canada who's already written about Ubuntu, and within the Toronto LUG
> community are two other writers who show up regularly in Linux Journal
> and elsewhere (Colin McGregor and Marcel Gagne). How much more media
> exposure do you need? For what?

We are attempting to make certain every last person in Canada at least
knows about Ubuntu. Nothing less than world domination :)

> As for the witholding of CDs, this doesn't make sense. If a conventional
> LUG were to ask for a bunch of CDs, it would receive them -- this has
> already happened in Toronto before. CLUE was able to easily get CDs to
> give to each Canadian Member of Parliament. That's the least of the
> necessity. What else is being held back?

The CDs are being distributed to approved LoCo teams by Canonical.
Essentially they only do approved loco teams to make certain their
investment of money (somewhere in the neighbourhood of $750 for the
500 cds) is not wasted. Yes, we can get cds, but only 6.06 cds, and
only in very small quantities, unless they are for a very specific
project, such as the MP one.

Corey