Getting approved

Jamon Camisso jamonation at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 05:53:13 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Corey Burger wrote:
>> Look, if we don't fix our roadmap we will not get approved. There are
>> currently 500  Edgy cds we are missing out on, which we will not get
>> until we get approved. Step up people.
>>

> I don't quite understand what's going on. At very least, the lingo is
> somewhat obscure.
>
> What is a LoCo and what is the benefit of being one?
> What are its goals, and what is expected of it such that a roadmap is an
> impediment to LoCo-ism?
> The current roadmap seems obsessed with getting media contacts.
> Shouldn't there be a concern about doing something newsworthy  before
> worrying about  building a media list?
>
> After all, you have on this mailing list a columnist for Computing
> Canada who's already written about Ubuntu, and within the Toronto LUG
> community are two other writers who show up regularly in Linux Journal
> and elsewhere (Colin McGregor and Marcel Gagne). How much more media
> exposure do you need? For what?
>
> As for the witholding of CDs, this doesn't make sense. If a conventional
> LUG were to ask for a bunch of CDs, it would receive them -- this has
> already happened in Toronto before. CLUE was able to easily get CDs to
> give to each Canadian Member of Parliament. That's the least of the
> necessity. What else is being held back?

Think of a LoCo like NUI Toronto or as a LUG for Ubuntu users. More of a
support and free promotion outlet for Shuttleworth and Canonical than
anything else but this mailing list and the help you can gain is another
advantage. Even without recognition, we are functioning and are, for all
intents and purposes, a LoCo team.

The gains? Official status within the Ubuntu community as a legitimate
team of Ubuntu members. That is, recognized by Mark Shuttleworth et.
al.--those on high who deem the efforts of a LoCo (Local Community) team
worthy of official recognition (e.g. fast access to cd's etc.).

Take a look at the Roadmap here and add relevant activities or those
ideas that would bolster the reputation and status of an Ubuntu Canada
LoCo team:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/ApprovalApplication

Current projects here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Projects

The whole page for Ubuntu Canada here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam

I haven't mentioned that I despise wikis... So hard to find content!
Could be the search method used by the wiki itself, but either way I
found those links easily using google's site:wiki.ubuntu.com search
versus the built in one. Frustrating.

Jamon