Fwd: Bit torrent

Jamon Camisso jamonation at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 06:10:35 UTC 2006

Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> [...]

A .torrent file is metadata about the actual file you are downloading,
in your case xubuntu-6.10-archname.iso

Your torrent program simply gathers pieces of the iso from other people
running the torrent and then puts them in the proper order--like a
jigsaw puzzle. Stopping and starting a torrent is perfectly acceptable
and even desirable sometimes. It should in no way harm the contents of
the file, as another unique feature of torrents is that every single
piece has a unique hash value.

Every chunk of the iso (in this case, it could be an avi, tar.gz etc.)
gets hashed and checked against the known good hash value for that
piece. If the two match, that piece stays, if they don't your torrent
program downloads that piece again until it gets a good copy.

I short, if you download an ubuntu iso in torrent form, you don't have
to extract anything just burn the iso once the download finishes.