Sign-on Problems

Chris Blythe cblythe at xris.ca
Sat Dec 9 14:04:37 UTC 2006

Thanks for the advise Jack. I'll definitely try that. But before doing
so I'd like to figure out 'the ghost in the machine' as it were.
Being a newby, I don't quite have a handle on the inner workings just
yet, so the situation is somewhat unnerving. I'd hate to 'correct' the
problem but leave a mystery power-user profile lurking in the dark
somewhere.

How could there be two separate instances of my User profile existing
at the same time?

System->Preferences->Session Options does not list other sessions, and
System>Admin>Users and Groups lists only the normal users plus the
'root' account (which has no privileges -- seems strange to me.)

And where the heck would so many instances of file browser come from?
It's different every time! (This time it was 7, last time it was 3.
One time 14 separate instances opened!)

If I was running Windows I'd suspect an infection of some sort.

Xris

Message: 8