Ubuntu in Canadian Libraries

MF magicfab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:33:28 UTC 2005

Corey Burger wrote:

><snip>
>

>>We want to minimize expenses and make this a sustainable effort, but at
>>the same time hace direct contact with people so I don' t see us
>>actually shipping the CDs but visiting and explaining why they should
>>have them.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Fabian
>>

>My vision for this project was slightly different. Shipit can ship
>Loco teams cds without covers. My idea was that Loco teams would take
>those cds, and purchase DVD covers. They would then print the DVD
>cover and an insert in their local langage. Thus when a new version
>came out, they could ship the library a new cd to put into the
>existing DVD cover.
>
>But in order to see if this is sustainable, we should trial in a few
>libraries and see if the cds are being checked out.

Not that different - I had added a DVD case in the ToDo list :) However
I think it' s not practical to ask libraries to replace the CDs in the
existing DVD cases. In terms of sustainability, I think it' s a
necessary complement to the ShipIt initiative.

I think Ubuntu CDs/DVDs should be registered as a periodic publication,
get an ISSN and maintain a localized (bilingual, in this case), DVD
insert. This would also provide for local LiveCD remastering scenarios.
Plus there would always be older versions for historical and archival
purposes.

In fact I have just requested an ISSN for "Ubuntu Linux - Canadian
Edition" (takes 1-2 days), and created a generic "periodic publication"
page for ISSN-related information:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ISSN

We'll see if it gets accepted ;)

Cheers,