Fwd: We need to move on

Alex Combas alex.combas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:43:05 UTC 2005

On 4/28/05, Ryan Thiessen <ryan at ryanthiessen.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Alex Combas wrote:
>
> > I just didnt feel comfortable making command disicions anymore if I was
> > not leader, and althought people voted for me I was not made leader so I
> > didnt know what to do. Command disicions need to be made. We need some
> > clear leader.
> >
> > At the time I was working pretty hard for the project and everyone saw
> > that. Its been what? Four weeks? Five? Still no leader. Im disapointed.
>
> Who did you expect to make you the leader?  I was under the impression
> that you already were because the only people that voted, voted for you.
> Catch-22, sounds like we needed a leader to tell us who our leader was.
> :-)  Moving on...
>
> At this time now, are you interested in moving forward and being the
> leader as we voted on last time, or do you think should we look to Andrew
> (or someone else) to take on that leadership role?  And how do we
> determine that it's finished and the leader is chosen?  I suppose this
> question goes out to everyone.  Here is my suggestion:
>
> 1. Cancel the votes previously cast
> 2. See who wants to run.  We know Andrew does, maybe Alex still does.
> 3. Vote again.
> 4. Count replies sent to the list by 12:00 GMT on May 7.
> 5. Our project leader for the next year will be whoever gets the most
> votes.
>
> How does this procedure sound?
>
> Cheers,
> -rt-

To be honest I dont know who I was expecting to appoint me leader.

But now I say lets just forget about all that, lets cancel the votes
and start again.

After all, a lot of people who are now on the list did not have a
chance to vote originally.

Also, I would like to suggest that those who would like to put
themselves forward
for leadership should be required to make a page on the wiki outlining
what they have done for this project so far, and also exactly what
they intend to do, how, and by when.

The only problem with that is that (as I found out though experience
working as Ubuntu-ca leader) sometimes plans can sound very promising,
but not work out.

Regardless, I think this way we can choose not only a leader but also
a plan for the future. Two birds with one stone.

In case those of you who are new to the list dont know who I am:
I am the mailing list moderator for this list.
The website administrator for www.ubuntu-ca.org as well as its author,
I also wrote our CanadainTeam wiki page.

I have a lot of plans for the future, and I know how to acomplish them.
As Ryan said, I was acting leader from the begining due to the fact
that I started this project, but eventually there came a point where
we needed to choose an official leader, and the project stalled.

I'll support whoever has the best plan, and has a proven record of
support for this community. Hopefully that person will get the most
votes. ;)

ps. I just want to say thanks to Antoine, I was almost ready to give
this up for dead
but suddently it seems things are springing back to life.

Cheers
--
Alex Combas | alex.combas at gmail.com | irc:sabmoc