Problems with docummentation reporting bugs

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Tue Apr 26 15:22:03 UTC 2016

On 26/04/2016 16:43, Julian Alarcon wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried multiple times to upload a .crash report to an existing bug with
> no success. Cheking the official documentation, I see that maybe there
> is an error in some of the steps to upload existing reports to existing
> bugs.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Filing_bugs_when_offline_or_using_a_headless_setup
>
> When I tried this:
>
>   *
>
>     ubuntu-bug -c /<apport_file.extension>/ -u /<bug number>/
>
> I got this error:
>
> test at CO1WDJ39M6V1U:/var/crash$ ubuntu-bug -c
> /var/crash/_usr_bin_remmina.1001.crash -u 1515240
> /usr/share/apport/apport-gtk:16: PyGIWarning: Wnck was imported without
> specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Wnck', '3.0') before
> import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
>    from gi.repository import GLib, Wnck, GdkX11, Gdk
> Usage: ubuntu-bug [options] [symptom|pid|package|program
> path|.apport/.crash file]
>
> ubuntu-bug: error: -u/--update-bug option cannot be used together with
> options for a new report
>
> Can you confirm if this is a real problem in the documentation?
>
> Thank you!
> --
> Julian Alarcon

Hi Julian,

If it is a new bug report, you can omit the -u <bug number> option. If
you are adding more information to an existing bug report then you can
use -u <bug number>.

It mentions this in the link you provided:

"If this is to be added to an existing bug report, also use the -u option:

     ubuntu-bug -c <apport_file.extension> -u <bug number>
"

But what you want is:

"When the file is ready, copy it to the system you intend to use for
filing the report. There you can then file the report:

     ubuntu-bug -c <apport_file.extension>
"

Another way of doing it, as mentioned in the docs is just run:

ubuntu-bug /var/crash/application-name.crash

Hope that helps.

--
All the best,

Bruce