Old bug reports

Timothy Mayoh timothy.mayoh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:37:21 UTC 2011

Sorry - I probably should have been more specific about marking bugs invalid
immediately; I was referring to when the bug really didn't have anywhere
enough information to work on it and no-one actually could reproduce it
other than the reporter or whoever claims that it affects them, and only if
they are all impossible to contact (as is already eventually done when there
is no more activity on an incomplete bug for more than 60 days anyway).

If the bug is already confirmed or triaged and can be reproduced in newer,
supported releases or the development release by other people, then I agree
it makes no sense to ask the original reporter to test to see if it exists
in a newer release just for the sake of it, if his/her version is still
within support.

Although to this day I see many people reporting bugs with unsupported
versions of Ubuntu who simply don't realise there is a newer version
available or haven't upgraded for whatever reason who could do with a little
push to switch to a current version, for their own benefit; for example I
believe that to be the case with these bug reports:

I'm not saying that upgrading will necessarily automatically fix the bug in
every case, but it is always a good idea to be using a release which still
receives security/performance/reliability fixes either way.