[Ubuntu-be] First RHoK event in Belgium

mylucubrium at gmail.com mylucubrium at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:08:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This year, we are about to organise the first Random Hacks Of Kindness
event in Belgium and we hope that this is just the first step of a long
walk and that Belgium becomes a constant host like many other countries.

For those that never heard about RHoK, here a resume in some words:

Initiated November 2009 by the Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, NASA, HP and
the World Bank, the projects mission is to make the world a better place
through a global community of innovation developing practical open
technology.

RHoK is unique in the space of “apps competitions”, “hackathons” and
“technology for social good”. RHoK’s model is to start from identifying,
defining and refining problem definitions provided by subject matter
experts and local stakeholders. This ensures that volunteer time is
focused on solving real problems for real people.

RHoK 2011: 240 Problem definitions, 111 Solutions under development, 32
Two-days-Hackathons around the world (at the same time) - and the first
RHoK in Belgium - the 3 & 4 of December 2011.

More information: http://www.rhok.org and http://www.rhok.be/

By this message, we would like to invite you to participate. The event
is free and any programming language and operating environment is
welcome. We also need "problem solvers" and "thinkers". The event will
be introduced by speakers from divers NGOs , then working groups are
formed and the hacking begins.

Our goal is to cover all Belgium cities with the subsequent RHoK events.
For this first event, we found a great venue in Antwerp.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you want to know more:
http://rhok.be and @RHoKBelgium
We would also be glad if you could spread the word.

Thank you in advance and best wishes,
Tasha