[Ubuntu-be] Opening a blogroll and implementing social stuff to the ubuntu-be website

martijn cielen mcielen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:44:21 UTC 2011

I'd suggest splitting things up:

1. a blog with access for a limited number of people, to blog about events/...
2. a planet.ubuntu-be where all Belgian ubuntu users can be aggregated
(cfr. planet.grep.be)

kindest regards,

Martijn

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM, wouter Vandenneucker
<woutervddn at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I took my time to look at the existing bugs on the launchpad. (Those
> subscribed to all bugs there might have got a lot of messages today, sorry
> for that)
> There was a bug placed on the 2nd of februari of 2010 that talks about
> starting a blog for Ubuntu-Be.
> I think it is a terrific idea and an opportunity to boost our facebook,
> twitter, orkut and identi.ca accounts.
> (bug can be found at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-belgium/+bug/516732)
>
> The implementation of these things can go along resulting in a better more
> dynamical experience of the website.
>
> I started my search about this with facebook and twitter as they are the
> once I know best. The integration can reach from adding like buttons to all
> the blog posts till adding a social window inside of the page.
> Twitter on the other hand can be coupled to facebook, resulting in only 1
> window needed.
>
> Lose from those social ideas the main thing should be a blogroll. As you can
> read in the bug this can (apparently) be done allready. Nevertheless have
> the ability to make a blog doesn't automatically result in having a blog,
> let alone having people who read the blog. I'd like to here from you guys
> how you think the blog should look and what you'd like.
>
> To start the debate about this I'll start by telling what ideas crossed my
> mind:
>
> Authors: all users? just a few users? or both?
> Where: on the homepage? on an other page? inside the planet? on
> facebook/blogger/wordpress and only putting links on the website?
> Content: only stuff about Ubuntu? only stuff for end-users? or developers?
> or both?
>
> also other linux related stuff?
> does hardware matter?
> should we only talk about releases and stuff?
> or should we cover/feature and review certain applications?
> should we talk about solutions for common problems?
> should there be an idea list?
> can we include applications that are not in the app center? (.deb and stuff)
> are programs you should compile from scratch a 'no no' or a 'yes please I
> might finally understand compiling'
>
> should we target to existing users? starting ubuntueros? or hard core
> ubuntueros?
> should we talk about the netbook edition? about the server edition?
> should we feature ubuntu derivates?
>
> Please reply with your thoughts, I'm sure that I would love an Ubuntu-Be
> blog. I'd even volunteer for writing it if no-one else would.
> But knowing what you guys think about this idea would be great feedback. If
> none of you sees the benefits of it we might as well drop the idea.
>
> Kind regards

(o_     martijn cielen
//\
V_/_    adminestering the world one system at a time