[Ubuntu-be] IRC meeting - Forum topic

Pierre Buyle mongolito404+ubuntu-be at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:15:29 BST 2009

Hi,

Here are my answer to issues raised by Jean regarding my initiative.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:59 PM, jean7491<jean7491 at free.fr> wrote:
> 1. For now, a poll like suggested is voting about an idea without
> argumentation and without a clear view on the project.
There has been a lot of argumentation for a forum in the mailing list.
See, for instance,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-be/2009-August/005854.html,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-be/2009-August/005874.html
and https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-be/2009-August/005857.html.
The subject was also brought by Ivan Flo in July who installed a forum
before removing it after negative feedbacks.

The idea presented in the poll is my view and summary of previous
discussions. My opinion is that discussions on this topics in the
mailing list and the IRC meetings have reached a dead end. I want to
capatilize on the recent interested of many of us on this topics to
get some results before we switch to other things (for ubuntu-be or
somewhere else).

> You wrote : "We are talking about a forum to discuss our actions and
> activities." , but is this limitation included in the project we will
> vote for ?
Yes indeed. The discussion is about a forum as a replacement for the
mailing list to discuss and plan our actions and activities. I'm not
talking about end-user helping and community announcements (meetings
reports, events, etc.) or call for actions (volunteer needed,
community feedback needed, etc.). This is my understanding of the
current discussions and the various requests made by other community
members.

> Before the poll, we  need a comprehensive project on this topic.
Even if it has not been directly requested, I feel like this is the
idea that has been floating along for quite some time: If *they* want
a forum, let *them* organize a comprehensive project. We can then
cecide later based on this project. IMHO, this is a good way to work.
But it is not the only one and it looks like it doesn't suit for this
issue. Most people asking for a forum said they don't have a lot of
time at hand. Requesting them to formalize their idea into a project
while all they are asking is to get a practical issue out of their way
to let them work on *real* issue is like asking them to shut up. I
don't think it will work. I didn't happend the previous times and I
don't see it happening now.

> 2. In my view, launching a debate about this poll at this moment is not
> the best thing, as the priority in the mailing-list should be the
> upcoming events we are organizing. Cluttering the list with more topics
> and debates will contribute to divert the attention of readers from
> important messages.
This is part of the point. The mailing list is cluttered with too many
discussions, making them hard to follow since, for some, it requires
god-like email client skills and self-organization. Solving this issue
may lower the noise on the mailing list, leaving more visibility for
announcement and requests for help. My opinion is that the solution is
not to wait for a better timing, they won't be any. Let fix it now.
Before it went in background, leaving sad people behind and pop up in
the mailing list again later.

--
mongolito404, king of the mongolian people