[Ubuntu-be] New posters and flyers - how many do we need ? best printing-site?

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen.gaeremyn at pandora.be
Sat Jun 27 06:50:58 BST 2009

Ok Jean,

as nobody's answering, I'll give it a shot.

First of all: what's the lifespan we want to give these posters and
flyers? Will we use them for 15 years? Or do we want to change with
every new release (just calling the 2 extremes here, neither one are
suggestions)

Second question: what's the forecast on activity? If you look in the
activity logs for the past few years, how many events has Ubuntu-be
supported?

Third question: (Now that I'm thinking this through) is a flyer the best
promotional material to give? How about CD-sleeves (just simple paper
ones) with the same info printed on them... obviously, as it envolves
folding and glueing it would be much more expensive... but in my
impression, people still find it easier to throw away a flyer than to
throw away a "real CD" As we're giving away CD's as our main promotional
mean, possibly we should explore this route too. People who are old
enough to remember the vynil LP's... remember how inside the cardboard
container, the LP was always inside a second (protective) sleeve with
the lyrics printed on them (or some other stuff)... If real CD-sleeves
are too expensive, maybe just a small 1-fold paper to acompany a CD
could do the job? Or a jewel case front-insert. I would put that in the
jewel-case if it looked good! And it offers fairly the same amount of
space on half the amount of paper (recto-verso), which might also be an
ecological argument.

As a very passive (but maybe too big mouthed) Ubuntu-be participant, I
don't have the info needed to make a realistic estimate.
For the Software Freedom Day, HCC Belgium will be organizing a happening
around Brussels. I think that would be a nice place to have flyers (or
CD-inserts or whatever promotional material). But I have no idea if we
will be expecting 20 or 200 persons... so I don't know how much material
I would ask for this event.

For me personally... I wouldn't dare to make a claim on the little
Ubuntu-be fundings there are (even though I would like one of those
posters for my computer room). Possibly selling the posters for a fair
price would lower the threshold for people to express their desire to
have one (as they could honestly buy it)

Okay,
I hope I didn't stir up too much with this "after the facts thinking" ...
Jurgen.