[Ubuntu-be] SMB server

Linux Leren linuxleren at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:43:31 GMT 2009

Hi,

we have already created a server distro, which will be downloadable shortly.

At the moment we are still testing it.

To combine the Desktop and the Server would not be a bad idea,

but you might run into the problem of how you would fit it on a CD.

ubuntu-desktop (META) leads to a server distro with full desktop of 700 Mb,

when we add the servers with the default settings it amounts to +/- 850 Mb.

Of course you can remove certain things or bypass the ubuntu-desktop META,

but what will you drop, what will you keep ?

The translation for the desktop is necessary, but early reactions from some

people who tested the server-side of things was 'where's my English'.

Also the ubuntu server kernel supports more server hardware (hardware RAID
a.s.o.),

whereas the ubuntu generic kernel supports some more recent hardware.

Putting two kernels on the distro is no problem, but we have not yet managed

to install them side by side through ubiquity (which (I think) is at the
moment

the better installer).

We also wrote some scripts to ease the transition from dhcp to static ip in
a console,

and automated the full server install.

Just one question ? What frontend would you use for the server management ?

Webmin, SWAT, Ebox, a.s.o. It's all out there.

Regards,

Tux de Luxe (Michel Vanhonacker)