[Ubuntu-be] SMB server

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Wed Jan 21 14:09:10 GMT 2009

Op woensdag 21-01-2009 om 12:43 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Linux
Leren:
> we have already created a server distro, which will be downloadable
> shortly.
>
> At the moment we are still testing it.

Interesting!

> To combine the Desktop and the Server would not be a bad idea,
> but you might run into the problem of how you would fit it on a CD.

Using a DVD instead is not a big issue in Belgium, I think?

> Also the ubuntu server kernel supports more server hardware (hardware
> RAID a.s.o.), whereas the ubuntu generic kernel supports some more
> recent hardware.
>
> Putting two kernels on the distro is no problem, but we have not yet
> managed to install them side by side through ubiquity (which (I think)
> is at the moment the better installer).

Installing both is not a good idea IMHO, but having both available might
be useful.

Also, the debian installer is (currently) actually better (more
powerful, e.g. to setup RAID, LVM, encrypted filesystems, etc.) than
Ubiquity, but of course it's not as pretty and not
5-clicks-go-compliant.

> We also wrote some scripts to ease the transition from dhcp to static
> ip in a console, and automated the full server install.
>
> Just one question ? What frontend would you use for the server
> management ?
>
> Webmin, SWAT, Ebox, a.s.o. It's all out there.

      * Webmin is (was?) known for its security issues and is not in the
        repositories because of that.
      * SWAT is available in the repositories, but is only for Samba I
        think?
      * Ebox has plugins for LDAP, Samba, CUPS, web, DHCP, DNS, etc. and
        is in the repositories.  OTOH, it's pretty new, so would need
        testing.

--
Jan Claeys