[Ubuntu-be] [Fwd: nu is het officieel: linux, dat is voor communisten!]

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Wed Feb 14 09:16:32 GMT 2007

On wo, 2007-02-14 at 07:54 +0100, Philippe De Ryck wrote:
> According to me, a normal user can install as much on windows (this
> has apparently changed in vista) as on linux. As long as you don't
> need to put any files in system directories, there shouldn't be a
> problem. It only appears to be different because everyone runs as
> "admin" on a windows-pc (because otherwise half the program's just
> don't work, ...).

The "programs don't run without admin rights" issue is slowly going
away.

> Precompiled packages on linux are a bit difficult (system
> directories),

There are 'klik' and similar systems.  And most programs allow
overriding the system settings with ~/.blah files or directories anyway.

>  but if you compile the software yourself, you can specify the
> installation directory at configuration time (your homedir for
> instance).

And for an easy way to compile everything, there is NetBSD's portable
'pkgsrc' infrastructure (and maybe Gentoo's 'portage' can be used in
your home directory too?).

--
Jan Claeys