[Ubuntu-be] [Fwd: Education, Ubuntu and LoCo teams]

fsc at info.fundp.ac.be fsc at info.fundp.ac.be
Wed Oct 25 10:13:16 BST 2006

Selon Jan Claeys <ubuntu at janc.be>:

> Op dinsdag 24-10-2006 om 23:29 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Marc
> Portier:
> > Mark Van den Borre wrote:

> > > The first candidates that realises three significant free software in
> > > education activities get my support. One for fr_be, one for nl_be.
> >
> > +1, and those who trigger the participation of the rest of this group
> > in that process gets a bonus :-)
>
> Personally I don't like the idea of making it some sort of a
> competition.

Neither do I... That would be me, but I have no more time :-)

FYI, done :
* FireFox on all students machines, on my lessons, IE is banned
* Gimp on all students machines, introduction given to my students
* NVu on all students machines, lot of usage
* OpenOffice on all teacher's computers (not on student's yet, but on it's way)
* Math and science teacher invited to use OpenOffice.org + Dmath for their
printed notes (syllabus, exams, ...). I made a presentation for that 2 weeks
ago
* 3*1 hour lesson on licences, copyrights, creative-commons, ... last year (to
be given again in 1 or 2 month to 3-5 groups)
* 1 hour presentation of Ubuntu last year (2 students installed it and use only
that now), to be given again in december/january
* a server to be accepted (hopefully) by the "school-masters" (directors ? ), OS
will be linux (Ubuntu normaly)

In education (not school), since 5 years, i make camp during july-augustus
mixing Outdoor&web site creation [http://www.webevasion.be].
Linux/Firefox/gimp/nvu/scite is used (some windows, but no
dreamweaver/photoshop/...). I have 14 laptops in Linux (Debian Sarge/XFCE for
now, Xubuntu will be tested soon)
--
François Schoubben