[Ubuntu-BD] nvidia

Tarin Mahmood mahmood.tarin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:34:04 GMT 2008

Why people don't use the useful search box little cleverly? Its not that
hard

> Do a quick search  on  Synaptic with the keyword "restricted"
> choose from the list all the restricted things you need to install

why not just search by nvidia ?!!

If I remember correctly there are 2 drivers for NVIDIA in 8.04

nvidia-glx-old
nvidia-glx-new

if you have very old NVIDIA card use 95 version, DarkLord you need to use
this driver. people with newer cards should use the newest ones. Current
version is 177.

the package description clearly says which version is for which cards, so if
you are not sure just read the description.

8.10 changed the system a little, drivers are listed with their respective
official versions.

so There is
nvidia-95
nvidia-173
nvidia-177 ... etc

just remeber:
NVIDIA stop supporting old generation cards after 95 versions. Versions>95
only support latest cards. Supported versions are listed in the package
description and probably NVIDIA's website, read them and decide which
version you should use.