Unity

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue May 24 01:06:49 UTC 2011

On 23/05/11 23:24, trideceth12 at gawab.com wrote:
> I installed Natty a few days ago and I must say I can't stand it.

I sympathise - I know the feeling :-( .

> I have been experimenting with LXDE and other options (because GNOME 3
> is nearly as bad as unity)

The key word here is "nearly" as bad. In fact it is better and *more*
*configurable* than Unity. Of course, at this early stage there are some
quirks to iron out but the potential is definitely there.

At this point I shall state that I have switched over to openSUSE (11.4
with KDE). Why you ask? Because of Unity. But why KDE? For this reason:

openSUSE has always had KDE as it "flagship", and has always also had
very good implementation and support of Gnome. On the other hand, Ubuntu
has always been Gnome with wishy-washy implementation of KDE - but now
Ubuntu has dropped Gnome and has gone Unity. KDE is in there, and will
be there, for the long haul and the best implementation and support of
KDE is by openSUSE. Irrespective of what happens to Unity or Gnome #3,
KDE will be there and will keep improving.

Now, having said this, openSUSE does have good support for GNOME #3 and
I have tried it. As I said, it is more configurable than Unity. I have
it installed (oops, sorry, "had" - I used the HDs on my wife's computer)
on my other set of HDs and used it, alternating between KDE and Gnome
#3. If you want to try out what Gnome #3 really looks like download
openSUSE 11.4 which is 'pre-configured' with Gnome #3 from here:

http://www.gnome3.org/tryit.html

It is basically a Live *DVD* [1] but you can install it (much more
preferable) and the installation is done from within *YaST2*
(Gecko>Computer>YaST2) and not from the boot message you get when you
first run the DVD.

[1] The data is just a tad too big for a normal CD - unless you want to
over-burn - so burn it to a 4.7GB DVD.

>   and I think my future is with LXDE.
>
> I think Unity has turned me away from Ubuntu and I don't think it will
> be too long before I'm using another distro.
>
> Maybe not, we'll see.
>
> Jake

BC

--
"The time has been
That, when the brains were out, the man would die,"