10.04 LTS kernel security problem?

Michael Chesterton chesty at chesterton.id.au
Wed May 11 13:29:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM, David <agora at justemail.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I clean-installed 10.04 LTS two days ago. In a computer mag I read
> something about Ubuntu (or Linux kernel) vulnerabilities for 10.04 being
> discovered recently. I may be remembering it wrong, but I thought the
> mag said that if you had kernel 2.6.35.25 then you are in the clear.
>
> When my 10.04 boots it shows the number as 'Linux 2.6.32.31-generic'.
>
> Straight after installing I had let Update Manager get the OS up to
> date. Am I in the clear, as far as these alleged vulnerabilities go? Or
> is there something else I have to do to 'get a newer kernel'?

I don't know the specifics of the vulnerability you mention, however, if you
updated it, and keep it updated, it's good to go, you don't need to do
anything else. The kernel version might stay the same, but the fix would
have been applied to it.

Desktops usually update automatically, or at least prompt you to update.
Servers you need to do a little extra work to get them to update
automatically.