10.04 LTS kernel security problem?

Ian Fleming iflema at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 11 14:40:48 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:11:38 PM David wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I clean-installed 10.04 LTS two days ago. In a computer mag I read
> something about Ubuntu (or Linux kernel) vulnerabilities for 10.04 being
> discovered recently. I may be remembering it wrong, but I thought the
> mag said that if you had kernel 2.6.35.25 then you are in the clear.
>
> When my 10.04 boots it shows the number as 'Linux 2.6.32.31-generic'.
>
> Straight after installing I had let Update Manager get the OS up to
> date. Am I in the clear, as far as these alleged vulnerabilities go? Or
> is there something else I have to do to 'get a newer kernel'?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

hi Dave...

Know security issues will be patched asap and that includes LTS releases.

Ubuntu adds its own patches to the vanilla kernel and so maintains its own
kernel to a certain extent.

A list of known vulnerabilities for Ubuntu release can be found here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/lucid/

Its hard to answer your question without more information re the issue.

There is a good chance that Ubuntu has a patch/update for it even though the
kernel version is lower than others.