Ubuntu - never again - please read.

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 4 15:45:47 BST 2010

On 03/09/2010 23:26, Mark Hill wrote:
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
> Once only have I actually had Ubuntu install cleanly and run (dual
> boot with Win XP). The Ubuntu version was from memory, 8.04 and not a
> serious contender to Windows in my humble opinion.
> I tried very recently and again today with 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and
> 10.04.1 (Maverick Meerkat).

Me thinks that you are either deliberately trying to stir the pot (ie,
trolling) or you are just clueless - which is why you are having the
trouble you are trying to convey here something, which you know nothing
about, for us to believe.

10.04.1, which you quote above, is *NOT* Maverick Meerkat.

Maverick is 10.10, and Beta #1 was released a day ago. Meerkat will be
released in October (10 October).

10.04.1 is the first 'upgrade' of Lucid, 10.04 released last April.

> Ubuntu ver 10.04 installs ok and leaves me looking at a lovely red
> screen. No task bar, no icons, in fact nothing.

The screen colour is, actually, called mauve.

But there should be a panel at the top of the screen, and a panel at the
bottom of the screen (both with some info in each); the rest of the
screen is "clean" with nothing except the mauve colour....This is normal.

> Ubuntu ver 10.04.1 installs ok but then trips over it's feet at the
> Grub boot option for either Win XP or Ubuntu. Both show but Ubuntu
> refuses to boot and round in circles we go.
> Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, Ubuntu may be a challenge to Microsoft in
> all it's various OS flavours but getting to the actual Ubuntu desktop
> is where the "wheels fall off".

I have, and many others, installed Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.04.1 and now even
Beta #1 of 10.10 (Meerkat) on dual-booting system without any problems.
Not a sinlge glitch.

What you need to do is to tell "us" exactly what your system is about
(laptop, desktop, which Windows version you have installed, etc) so that
people can help you.

> Please, or when the Ubuntu development team build a reliable dual boot
> option (with a GUI interface) into Wubi it may be worth my time to try
> Ubuntu again but "once bitten, twice shy".

Ah, so you are trying to install Ubuntu using Wubi on a Windows system?
Have you done all the things in the Windows OS to create the space for
Ubuntu?

Have you read the documentation here?:

http://wubi-installer.org/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

> I have seen some forum posts regarding problems with the latest
> version of the Grub boot loader. My simplistic view is that
> insufficient pre-release testing was carried out.

It is indeed a simplistic view.

Which "latest Grub bootloader" are you referring to? The latest Grub 1a?

> Having wasted several hours on a "non-starter, ie;, Ubuntu, puts me
> firmly back in the Windows fold and quite frankly I have given up on
> Ubuntu.

If you don't succeed, try and try again.

> After my negative comments above I expect I shall not receive a reply.

Nobody in the Ubuntu community ignores "a cry for help" - and will
always give it, provided the person crying out for help is genuine about
asking for help.

> Mark Hill.
BC

--
...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol.
                     W C Fields