Ubuntu - never again - please read.

Mark Hill mark1948 at adam.com.au
Fri Sep 3 14:26:17 BST 2010

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Once only have I actually had Ubuntu install cleanly and run (dual boot with Win XP). The Ubuntu version was from memory, 8.04 and not a serious contender to Windows in my humble opinion.

I tried very recently and again today with 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and 10.04.1 (Maverick Meerkat).

Ubuntu ver 10.04 installs ok and leaves me looking at a lovely red screen. No task bar, no icons, in fact nothing.

Ubuntu ver 10.04.1 installs ok but then trips over it's feet at the Grub boot option for either Win XP or Ubuntu. Both show but Ubuntu refuses to boot and round in circles we go.

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, Ubuntu may be a challenge to Microsoft in all it's various OS flavours but getting to the actual Ubuntu desktop is where the "wheels fall off".

Please, or when the Ubuntu development team build a reliable dual boot option (with a GUI interface) into Wubi it may be worth my time to try Ubuntu again but "once bitten, twice shy".

I have seen some forum posts regarding problems with the latest version of the Grub boot loader. My simplistic view is that insufficient pre-release testing was carried out.

Having wasted several hours on a "non-starter, ie;, Ubuntu, puts me firmly back in the Windows fold and quite frankly I have given up on Ubuntu.

After my negative comments above I expect I shall not receive a reply.

Mark Hill.