Promoting Ubuntu

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Wed Oct 6 23:11:46 BST 2010

On 06/10/10 10:37, Paul Whipp wrote:
> To discuss this prior to the meeting:
>
> My suggestion is this:
>
> We prepare, advertise and give a 30minute presentation to 12-24 people
> at a time. They can bring their own machines. For the remaining time
> ?1.5 hours, we help them test and hopefully install Ubuntu.
>
> In short:
> Starting in Brisbane (North or CBD because that is where I can get to
> easily) but hopefully extending this further if it works well.
>
> The target audience is small business professional or home users who
> use their computers every day but who are not geeks or technical people.
>
> I could prepare/source the 15m presentation which gives a user
> overview of browsing/office/evolution - the 90% desktop functionality.
> Then ?15m questions with prepared photo, movie watching, torrent +?
>
> We prepare an ad. We're aiming primarily to convert MS Windows users
> so we need something catchy and simple for the ad. This will need some
> brainstorming, It needs to appeal to our target audience.
>
> In the session we would probably need 3 of us present skilled in
> Ubuntu Installation.
>
> This idea could possibly be merged with promoting Ubuntu to charitable
> organisations - For them we offer them attendance for free. It would
> make them more likely to show an interest because they could see that
> they are getting something that others have to pay for.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi Paul,

This sounds very similar to the sort of thing i've been wanting to get
off the ground. [1][2]  I would really like to see it happening on a
regular basis and bringing together some of the people who work with
Ubuntu in the local area.  Maybe we could work together on getting
something like this going?

Regards,
Paul

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-au/2010-May/006229.html