Local activity suggestion: face-to-face technical gatherings

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sun May 16 06:23:48 BST 2010

Hi folks,

I've enjoyed the face-to-face meetings we've had in Brisbane recently
[1][2], and i'm wondering if a valuable activity leading back towards
re-approval might be to hold technical gatherings more regularly (i'm
thinking monthly, in the months where we don't have the social
meetings).  Some initial thoughts on about such meetings:

    * Location:
          o family-friendly venue
          o central location
          o free parking
          o close to public transport
          o easy access to coffee/food (or at least facilities to
            prepare such)
          o free/very cheap wireless Internet access
          o preferably a local Ubuntu mirror
    * Activities:
          o install-fests
          o informal technical talks about things we're working on
          o share problems or concerns and try to solve them
          o accessible to all levels of technical expertise (no elitist
            developers excluding newbies)
          o open to potential Ubuntu users as well as actual Ubuntu users
          o log our actions on IRC and/or wiki

I would be willing to organise something like this on a semi-regular
basis (say once per quarter).  I'm sure i could talk my church into
hosting it, but it fails on the central location, and the ADSL speed is
not great.

A few questions for you all to ponder:

    * Is this a useful thing?  Would you attend more than 1 meeting per
      year?
    * Would you be willing to contribute an informal talk if you did attend?
    * Would a central location be essential, or would multiple meetings
      in different geographical areas work better?
    * Do you know of any good venues?
    * Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Paul