Creating A Linux Distro - Need Programmers, Designers etc

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Sat Nov 14 09:35:55 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 20:18 +0000, Julius Papz wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>               We need people who can create us a linux distro were planning to bring to the market! we need anyone who wants to help out
>
> we attached a document regarding our project!  And we will have a website about this project in a matter of weeks
>

> cheers
>
> Julius Papadopoulos

Time for some reality here.

There are already hundreds (thousands?) of distributions. All the
distributions that actually get used have one thing in common: They know
who their target market is, and they design their system to be catered
specifically to that target. So far, nothing I've seen about your
project has told me that you even know who you're intending this
distribution for.

I get the vague idea that it's for desktops, and that it might be just a
live CD environment... but there's absolutely nothing so far
differentiating your project from the hundred or so Ubuntu respins.
Except that yours seems to lack originality by comparison.

You also don't say what you really need in terms of programming. Do you
need people who know HTML? PHP? Python? C? C#? Ruby? I might have the
skillset to help if it's Python, but I'm not going to volunteer and then
find that I'm expected to write something Ajaxy. And when you say "we",
who is the "we"; in other words, if I joined this project, who exactly
am I working for?

What distributions is this based on? Ubuntu? Linux From Scratch?
OpenSUSE? T2? Android? With Gnome? KDE? XFCE? Openbox and AWN?

And do you know what's most off-putting about this? You mention in the
document that you made the mockup in MS Paint. You attached the document
in Microsoft Word 2007 format! (thanks to Harrison for converting it to
ODF so I could actually read it)

Why on earth would anybody use your Linux distribution when you don't?

Before you can get anybody from the Linux community involved, you need
to ask yourself those questions, and have some pretty good answers.
Until then, it sounds like you're trying to get someone to make "MY gR8
OS!!!!!" without actually booting up Linux at any stage yourself.

I'm sorry if I sounded nasty (I wasn't trying to be or sound that way),
but honestly I'd hate to see you waste your time (and other people's
time) on an ill-defined project, when you could instead be installing
Ubuntu and learning all about our exciting operating system :-)

Chris.