Netbooks

Lisa Milne lisa at ltmnet.com
Sun Jan 25 04:10:43 GMT 2009

I've got an Acer Aspire One, I love it. 1.6Ghz Intel Atom, 512Mb RAM,
8GB SSD, similar specs to the eee I think.

I don't run Ubuntu on it though, but I did use an Intrepid Live USB as a
host to install Gentoo. Everything I tested worked out of the box with
Ubuntu though, SDCard/wireless/sound3D, didn't try the webcam as I never
use it anyway.

Of course it's performance is even better under Gentoo (16 seconds from
power on to desktop, and about 100 fps in 3d games - tremulous & assault
cube - at their highest graphics quality). Other than boot speed, I
don't imagine Ubuntu would be too much different though.

Maybe you could make a live USB, go to a place that sells the various
netbooks and try them out?

Lisa

--
WebLinux - Linux live on the web!