Printing under Ubuntu

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Thu May 15 22:40:46 BST 2008

Daniel Mons wrote:
> Dave Hall wrote:
>> I have a HP Officejet J5780 which works well - with FOSS drivers bundled
>> in ubuntu.  It priced at around $180+ on staticice.com.au (comparison
>> shopping site).
>
> This topic comes up frequently on this and many other mailing lists, and
> the answer is generally the same:
>
> HP are the way to go.  They have made an enormous commitment to writing
> and releasing first-party FLOSS drivers for an enormous range of their
> printing, scanning and multifunction devices.

I don't think it's quite as clear-cut as that (although i have no
hesitation in recommending HP), but you shouldn't take my word or
Daniel's for it - you should look up the specific model at:
	http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

This is the definitive source for Linux printing (it used to be called
linuxprinting.org) and has a lot of great resources.

Paul