Printing under Ubuntu

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Thu May 15 21:59:01 BST 2008

Dave Hall wrote:
> I have a HP Officejet J5780 which works well - with FOSS drivers bundled
> in ubuntu.  It priced at around $180+ on staticice.com.au (comparison
> shopping site).

This topic comes up frequently on this and many other mailing lists, and
the answer is generally the same:

HP are the way to go.  They have made an enormous commitment to writing
and releasing first-party FLOSS drivers for an enormous range of their
printing, scanning and multifunction devices.  Most of these are
included with a default Ubuntu install, and the rest can be installed
easily via your package manager (hplip, hpijs and hpoj are the three
important ones I think).

It's worth noting that the printing backend of MacOSX is CUPS (indeed,
Apple now own CUPS after purchasing it from Easy Software Products last
year, and are funding it's development entirely).  Printer manufacturers
that support CUPS are immediately supporting Linux, MacOSX and a wide
range of UNIX and BSD systems as well.  HP understand this, and have
chosen a smart business path by releasing a great deal of their printing
and scanning software drivers for free.  They are the defacto choice for
  many businesses that use both FOSS and Apple Mac software for these
reasons.

-Dan