Monitor problem

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Fri Jul 4 07:37:29 BST 2008

Hi Dave,

The Wassermans wrote:
> I have recently switched to Ubuntu 8.04.  Am a new convert still trying
> to configure my computer.

=)

> At issue is my Samsung SyncMaster 205bw (lcd) monitor.

is the 15 pin VGA or DVI connector in use?

> I have noticed that my photographs and videos are appreciably fuzzier
> than they are using the same monitor in XP.  I am presuming that it must
> be something to do with the Driver?

What is the application that you are using to view or edit the images?

Is there smoothing or zooming or image compression going on here you haven't seen?
What is the file format?
How big is the image in kilobytes?
How big is the image in pixels?

Fuzzy is such a loose word to use here, as the application you use in
windows may actually be doing smoothing without you knowing...

> Sumsung do not provide a Linux driver as such.
>
> Questions:
>       * Where in Ubuntu do I go to look at what driver is actually in
>         use?

The driver in Ubuntus case is actually the video card driver...

>       * Are there alternative drivers for my monitor?

Linux and xorg doesn't do monitor 'drivers' as such ...

>       * Is there a solution to improving the quality of rendering?

The windows 'driver' is mainly to give hints to the video card about
which screen resolutions to run, which are native and what gamma modes
and colour correction is supported. Mainly so the user doesn't need
to fiddle with them.

Most of these options in Linux/xorg are configurable, however I'm not
sure if these are changeable from the GUI.

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au