Linux Servers for Infrastructure

Morgan Storey me at morganstorey.com
Fri Jul 4 01:25:48 BST 2008

You can just use cron-apt and your own apt-repo to deploy applications and
manage updates, like Microsofts SMS but better.

Using PXE and a customised image you could network boot and install all the
machines as well, same as MS's RIS or WDS.

you could stay with AD if you want or move to straight LDAP as others have
said. I have done deployments of Linux Workstations into an already
established AD domain. The first one is hard, but once it is done, I had
made some scripts to do the rest, 15 minutes to manually deploy a
workstation, but PXE boot would take that to 15minutes install time but no
interaction.

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Dave Hall <dave.hall at skwashd.com> wrote:

> Hi Null,
>
> Can I start by asking that you use your real name when posting to this
> list.  I think it is polite for us to be able to identify you properly.
>
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 04:21 +1000, Null Ack wrote:
> > Im reflecting on a infrastructure project I did recently and how this
> > might have been done using Linux servers (Ubuntu). In this example the
> > desktops have to remain the approved XP SOE. To give an outline of the
> > environment:

> > Im not sure about the software distribution aspetcs and group policy?
>
> Last year I was working at SGI on their NAS product.  I was involved in
> adding HA support to it.  These systems can support petabytes of data,
> if your budget can.  Most network services running under Linux support
> distribution/replication/fail over.
>
> Samba 4 will offer native support for AD and group policy.  AFAIK
> packaging up MSIs is pretty easy on a Windows desktop, but debs are
> easier :P
>
> > Im curious about this. What I see happening is Linux being used for
> > app / web / DB servers but not alot in infrastructure for desktops -
> > maybe it just the places Ive worked at.
>
> I think you will find it is the places you have worked.  For example,
> yesterday I was contacted to discuss an Australian based ubuntu desktop
> roll out project involving thousands of desktop and no, I can't provide
> more info at this stage.  The client already runs a Linux based back
> office with some desktops tux powered.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Regards