trouble with pan

Andrew Shugg andrew at neep.com.au
Tue May 22 12:47:17 BST 2007

James Takac said:
> Thought I'd try pan as I haven't been on usenet for a while now.
> Ususally I have no probs configuring a news reader but for pan that
> seems to have changed. And yes, I've googled around, tried reading the
> documentaion, etc.  What's happening is that no matter what nntp
> server I try (even one from my isp), pan tells me there is no
> connection. I've tried both with and without firewall running so I
> think I've ruled that out. Well, just figured out another possibility,
> e.g. router blocking it. So begs the q, as I have 3 pc's on that
> router, how can I determine this ones ip address? Then if setting the
> router port forwarding fails I'll have to ask further on pan

Being a client, SURELY it won't need a port mapping back to itself on
your router ...

Is pan trying to connect 'securely' with SSL perhaps?

If you have pan running and trying to connect to a news server, and you
open a Terminal window and run 'netstat --inet' or 'sudo lsof -i' can
you see any indication that pan has established a connection to the
server?

The main users list at ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com could be more help.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew at neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."