News

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 07:34:27 BST 2007

On 22/06/07, Andrew Swinn <andrew at swinndesign.com> wrote:

> Andre Mangan wrote:
> >

> > On 21/06/07, *Andrew Swinn* <andrew at swinndesign.com
> > <mailto:andrew at swinndesign.com>> wrote:
>
> > Since you have appended your comments to my posting of the article from
> > the Sydney Morning Herald, I feel obliged to respond.
> >
> > I am at a loss to see any connection between your comments and what I
> > posted.  Perhaps you intended to respond to someone else.
> >
> > I posted the article because it made me laugh when I read it and I
> > wanted to share this piece of (ironic) humour with you all.
>
> I do see the humour, but these other responses:
>
> > I can verify that it works. Don't even get asked for verification to get
> the
> > downloads that otherwise need it on my windows pc

That one came about due to misinterpretation.  The newspaper article
referred to an Ubuntu installation being verified as genuine not a Windows
one.

> I understand the website checks if you are running an unlicenced copy
> > of Windows.  As Ubuntu is not an unlicenced copy of windows it passes.

Perhaps that is a good explanation of the events described in the Herald
article.

Meanwhile, have you heard the one about .....

One last thing, Andrew:  In November last year you kindly steered me in the
right direction after I asked you about virtualisation.  I had a number of
Windows-based programs that I needed and you suggested VMware.  I could not
come to grips with VMware at that time but several months ago embraced
VirtualBox.  Now I can run PhotoImpact (which I need for processing graphics
for web sites) in XP as guest, with Ubuntu being the host.  The other
programs I asked the list members about I am running in CrossOverLinux even
though one of them (MailWasherPro) has since been written for Ubuntu and
other Linux distros.  It all turned out to be so easy and I really like
Ubuntu.  So, Andrew, and all those who helped me on the path ... thank you.

Cheers,
Andre

andremangan at gmail.com