An idea how to attack Windows and increase Linux presence

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Thu Jan 11 08:08:03 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 10:31 +0000, ubuntu-au-request at lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> An Idea how to attack Windows and increas Linux presence.

The OP suggested asking at places like Myer and DJs. Those are
completely the wrong places to be hassling the staff, as the salespeople
have absolutely no influence over buying decisions. I know, I used to
work at Myer. They may be sympathetic to you, but that's no good - all
the stock for these kinds of department stores is bought by some people
sitting in an office somewhere in Melbourne.

I also think that salespeople are going to spot "ringers" a mile away.
Don't pretend that you don't know what Linux is, and don't pretend that
you're in the market to buy a Linux distro or a Linux-based computer if
you're not (the latter is a waste of peoples' time). Asking for Linux at
Dick Smith's is a silly idea unless you want to waste $10 on old
versions of Knoppix and Morphix (Dickies sell them).

Most computer salespeople already have Linux experience anyway. You'd be
preaching to the converted.

Best thing to do: When you're in the market for a new computer, ask if
there's a Linux-preloaded option. If you've just bought something from a
store where the staff are knowlegable and can influence purchasing, or
you've made an enquiry about something else, you might as well ask about
Linux-preloaded too. For instance, I bought a USB hard disk recently.
While I was there, I asked the salesperson about whether the disk was
Linux-compatible, and he basically demonstrated his Linux knowledge
(told me what filesystem to format it as and what kernel versions
support USB). Just before I left, I told him that I'm the host of a
Linux podcast (I am) and that my listeners have been asking where to get
Linux-preloaded computers (well, not asking me personally!) and whether
this store would sell them.

They couldn't (the computers are assembled off-site), but I feel that
the interaction was more fruitful as the store's manager was about 2
metres away and it's a small local chain of stores.