New mobo and CPU. Any heads up before I install?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 22:53:27 GMT 2007

On 1/3/07, Andrew Shugg <andrew at neep.com.au> wrote:

> Hello David,

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

> The current dapper kernel package will still work fine on your new
> system.  Unlike Windows, Ubuntu does not usually require a fresh install
> after changing the motherboard.  You will however need to install a new
> xserver-* package appropriate for the new graphics card, the process of
> which should update your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Yup, on first bootup, the xserver failed to start.  It took a couple
of attempts at playing with the xorg.conf, but luckily all graphics
drivers are installed by default, so I just had to specify "810" as
the driver and it was soon back up and running.

I also commented out a couple of drivers like "GLCore" and "glx" but
as I haven't tried to get the 3D acceleration working yet, I am not
sure if I need them or not.  I will work all that out tonight.

I also changed to the 686 kernel, which has SMP all enabled now so
after a reboot I could see both cores and they seem to be utilised
correctly.  I have to admit, I am was mighty impressed with how easy
it all was.

> If in doubt, I suggest that after upgrading the components you first
> boot from a dapper CD and check /proc/cpuinfo to see that both CPU cores
> are being used, and /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see which video driver was
> selected by the live CD system.

I have an Edgy live CD somewhere, so I will probably do this anyway to
check I have my xorg.conf file configured right.

I also don't seem to have any sound.  Everything seems to be
recognised correctly as an Intel ICH5 onboard 6 channel thingo so I am
just praying it is not a hardware issue.  I am hoping that by using
the Edgy live CD I can at least confirm the sound is working fine.

Thanks for the responses,
Whytey