New mobo and CPU. Any heads up before I install?

Andrew Shugg andrew at neep.com.au
Wed Jan 3 12:21:27 GMT 2007

David Whyte said:
> Hi list.
>
> Some of you may remember back (quite) a few months to when I was
> having sporadic lockup issues with my server.  Well it has gotten to
> the point where I bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM today to
> (hopefully) replace the offending piece of hardware.
>
> I am going from a Sempron 2400 with VGA nVidia TNT2 graphics to a
> Pentium D 925 (i.e. dual core) with onboard Intel Extreme 2 graphics.
>
> I imagine I should be using a different kernel and everything to use
> the CPU to it's full advantage but I have no idea which one I should
> be using.

Hello David,

The current dapper kernel package will still work fine on your new
system.  Unlike Windows, Ubuntu does not usually require a fresh install
after changing the motherboard.  You will however need to install a new
xserver-* package appropriate for the new graphics card, the process of
which should update your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

If in doubt, I suggest that after upgrading the components you first
boot from a dapper CD and check /proc/cpuinfo to see that both CPU cores
are being used, and /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see which video driver was
selected by the live CD system.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew at neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."