Dial up Modem

Steven O'Reilly steven.oreilly at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 00:40:00 BST 2007

Hi Peter

I have not installed a winmodem for ages these were usually on my
laptops, but I had a quick look at the site, this page
<http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/index.php> has information the
menus on the left are worth a look. The download option (for hcf)
requires you to agree to something then presents a list of downloads
that includes a Ubuntu option at the bottom
<http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php>
I'm not sure if you can go directly to this url.

There are install instructions at
<http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/install.php> Ubuntu is a debian
based system.

As it seems the free driver is limited to 14Kbps, which is slow. I
think you'd learn something about linux from getting this installed,
however you might be better off getting a modem model that has linux
drivers or go for broadband.  My Ubuntu installation works perfectly
with an ADSL modem through an ethernet connection.

Hope this helps.

Steven O'Reilly