Ubuntu Forums Loco offering.

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Tue Nov 21 22:51:31 GMT 2006

> Adam Smith said:
> I do not see the point of another, separate forum.

After seeing everyone else's posts I have somewhat revised my thinking
on the subject. From the amount of posts to this mailing list it appears
that quite a few of us are happy with the mailing list approach.

I do not know a lot about the politics of ubuntuforums.org, but if there
are underlying issues with it's operation maybe it is best avoided.

I am actually somewhat against the idea of a forum now. There have been
a few valid reasons posted that I did not see before and tend to agree
with.

The first being that ability to read and respond without a net
connection, I did a survey of our local computer club members out this
way asking how many had full-time broadband and who were still on dial
up. A good half were on dial up. For anyone not on these broadband
connections that we sometimes take for granted, forums are hard work.

Also mentioned was the direct to the receiver approach. This has the
added benefit of everyone getting everything, you don't have to wait for
someone to find your post to answer it.

In summary:

*I think we should avoid ubuntuforums.org if there is instability issues
there.
*I don't think we should bother with a ubuntu.com.au forums as, yes, it
would be just another forum to log into and a lot of us a stretched for
time as it is without having to maintain/check a forum.
*The mailing list is already working well. Don't fix/replace something
that ain't broke.

Cheers,

Andrew Swinn (Phlosten)