Ubuntu Forums Loco offering.

Andrew Shugg andrew at neep.com.au
Tue Nov 21 14:07:28 GMT 2006

Adam Smith said:
> Hey all,
>
> This may have been discussed, but I haven't been around, so thought I'd
> mention it.
>
> Not to detract from mailing lists and irc, both of which I think have
> their uses, and can be very effective, but has the Loco offering at
> Ubuntu forums been given consideration?
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181
>
> Your thoughts?

I do not see the point of another, separate forum.  I have used
ubuntuforums.org occasionally, but have no interest in creating yet
another account on yet another forum and logging in to it regularly when
really its scope and audience are only going to be a subset of the main
ubuntuforums.org forum anyway.

Melissa recently pointed out that the list had been quiet.  I think a
new ubuntu-au forum (whether on ubuntuforums.org or ubuntu.com.au) will
spread people yet more thinly, and probably create a third community.
There is already the people on #ubuntu-au and the people on this list
(and some people in both); with the forum it will be another small group
of people with a little overlap with irc and the list.  What is the
point of that?  I don't think the combined mailing list and irc
communities for ubuntu-au are big enough to necessitate splintering.

Besides, if you're interested in Ubuntu, and you live in Australia, and
you don't want to use irc and you don't know about the mailing list (or
just don't want to use it), why wouldn't you use the main forums?

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew at neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."