Ubuntu Forums Loco Offering

Adam Smith adam.tropics at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 21 07:38:58 GMT 2006

Melissa Draper wrote:

> > Aha, this was another issue I meant to bring up in last nights email.
> >
> > There are a few points of consideration needed for this.
> >
> > * Do we need one?
> >
> > We are an english-speaking country, hence there has been little to no
> > requirement for a forum to be established, and is probably one of the
> > main reasons it has not been discussed previously.
> >
> > * What would be the purpose of having an -au forum?
> >
> > We have a comprehensive wiki that is continually growing. If we are in
> > need of asking a forum, the main ubuntu forums is frequented by a whole
> > lot more people than would ever frequent the -au one.
> >
> > * There are two methods of running a forum we should investigate here,
> > if we decide to run a forum at all.
> >
> > Option 1: We could accept the offer of the ubuntuforum staff, and have a
> > sub-forum.
> > Option 2: We could add an entire forum on to ubuntu.com.au, which needs
> > more body added to it anyway. This option also leaves us clear of the
> > political issues that have occurred and are not yet quite fully resolved
> > with the ubuntuforums.
> >
> > Lets discuss this.

Hey again,

Define need! Really I just think it provides a self-evolving alternative
front end to Ubuntu-au. Mailing lists are great for announcements, but
the forum format is a far simpler way of avoiding things such as
repetition of topics to name but one . Also, I can well imagine people
wishing to be a bit more active, but finding mailing lists to be
slightly well, dated and cumbersome, not to mention 'geeky'! The average
convert I have come across, would find both IRC and mailing lists a
whole lot less friendly a proposition when set against the choice of
forums. I am really I suppose suggesting it as a 'for the most part'
replacement for the list.

The wiki is great so far as it goes, but wikis require commitments to
maintain, and the minute they become unmaintained, their perceived level
of professionalism is compromised. Irrelevant case in point....check out
the date of the next meeting on the front page. It's a tiny thing, but,
well, you get the idea, it's the front page!

As for option 2. Political Issues get resolved...eventually! We have to
accept the fact that the forums have become an integral part of the
Ubuntu community, which we are a part of. If Ubuntu.com.au needs more
body (and please, this is not a criticism) then we need to do more to
fill it, rather than use a forum as gap-fill!

Just my 5c worth. Have a great evening people.

Adam Smith