Showcasing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Sat May 13 15:46:57 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 22:37 +0100, ubuntu-au-request at lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 01:30:07 +1000
> From: Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Showcasing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
> To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> <quote who="Andrew">
>
> > I think I will use this presentation to briefly show various aspects to it
> > and follow it up with more in depth presentations of certain aspects.  ie
> > will briefly show synaptic, then run a seperate tutorial with
> > synaptic/apt-get etc.
>
> Definitely show off gnome-app-install before diving into synaptic. It's much
> more interesting and usable. Synaptic is more of an administrator's tool.
>
> - Jeff

Too right - I never used gnome-app-install, so it didn't occur to me.
When I said "show Synaptic" I meant "Show the package manager
automatically resolving dependancies" (that's the impressive part)

One thing I was impressed with was the ability to install programs and
apply updates without restarting... pity it's probably not something
that can be demonstrated, unless you had a small upgradable package that
you held back?