Showcasing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Karl Goetz kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net
Wed May 10 08:32:25 BST 2006

Andrew wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I am to do a presentation to our local computer club (Dubbo and
> Districts Computer Club) at out next meeting which will be held just
> after 6.06 is officially released. (I mentioned this in an earlier post).
>
> What I am wanting is some suggestions as to what features or aspects of
> Ubuntu Dapper can be showcased? ie If you have a short period of time to
> 'show off' what the best bits of dapper are and what it can do, what
> would choose to present?

It will largely depend on what sort of imgae you want to convey. "Ubuntu
rocks"[1] is a great open thing, but something more specific will aid
enormously.

I suggest showing
	the up to dateness of the software,
	openoffice2,
		opening and closing a .doc file
		saving to a .doc
		OO.o got any funky stuff especialy to show off?

	firefox
		with extensions (if its new to them)

	gnome
		connect to server dialogue
		stupidly easy software install with Synaptic

	NO CLI
		if humanly possible, show them there is a way of doing things in a
gui. even if its 'gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list' (from Alt+f2 or
there was a run as app before. still now?). remember in dapper we have
gdebi, so no more dpkging stuff at demos :)
		having showed them you dont need a cli, show them its available if
needed, or for advanced usage.

just a few thoughts.
kk

[1] As said by jdub and others