Showcasing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Shane Handley shane.handley at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:37:58 BST 2006

Hi,

I've found Beagle is a really good app to show off. Specifically: open
a search window, search for the term "foo" then from GAIM, mention the
word "foo" in a conversation with the beagle search still open. This
always surprises Windows users to see it return the IM log containing
"foo" *instantly* :).

Another thought: If you consider that there are essential applications
for most Desktops now, people will not consider converting to Linux
unless all of these software requirements are met. Essentials might
include:

Instant messaging - GAIM
CD / DVD Creation -  gnomebaker
Mail Client - Thunderbird
Music Player - Rhythmbox
Movie Player - Totem

As well as the apps that Karl mentioned.

And maybe for the power users:

Thoggen for DVD ripping/backup
Sound-Juicer for CD ripping/backup

With regard to eye candy, custom GDM screens are really eye catching
for Windows users.

http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=high&page=0

Custom panel arrangements, gdesklets and other enhancements show how
easily the system can be customised to how a user likes to see their
desktop.

Also, in lieu of an XGL desktop, you might blow minds by playing the
Novell XGL demo's in .ogg format, since these do a good job of showing
the power of XGL anyway.

Many can be downloaded from the view page on Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=XGL

Hope this helps,

Shane W. Handley