Summary of Fortnightly Meeting - June 27th 2006

Matthew Vermeulen mattvermeulen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:27:32 BST 2006

On 6/28/06, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 22:55, Pete Brown <pete at geekbuilt.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > heh
> > what about "Recycling Bin"?
>
> Please no... :p
>
> > > I'm going to go with Sridhar on this one. Australian English, despite
> > > its many differences in terms of slang usage, is still too close to UK
> > > English to be considered a different dialect.
> >
> > yeah i agree with that.
> > but there are a few differences that might be cool to have added or
> > changed.
> >
> > there is something i noticed about using the en language packs for kde.
> > well i think they are in the language pack but i don't really know.
> > the google url's for the search engines in konqueror are all
> google.co.uk.
> > it would be cool to have them use google.com.au.
>
> Ah, good point. How should we deal with this? Maybe we should take en_GB
> and
> make some minor modifications to 'convert' it to en_AU?

This is exactly what was proposed some time ago, however, it appears that
this is not possible at the moment.... I hope I'm wrong.

What I'd like to see is a definable fallback language. In the case of en_AU,
> everything that isn't localised should automatically borrow its
> translation
> from en_GB. At this point, I have no clue what such a system would
> require.

Be nice :) if we could do that, a en_AU language pack that depends on en_GB
and takes most stuff from there. Or is localisation maybe a separate
package?

> > America has had a couple of hundred years more to branch away from the
> > > trunk line that Australia has.
> >
> > from what i have learnt they stuck to a lot of the spellings used from
> when
> > they "emigrated" hence the different spelling of aluminium, though i
> think
> > that's due to split regarding how it should be spelt.
>
> It's explained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Spelling
>

> --
> Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
>   {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc
>    0x049D38B4 : A7A9 8A02 78CB AB1B FCE4 EEC6 2DD9 249B 049D 38B4}
>
>                 Windows: Designed for the Internet.
>                 The Internet: Designed for UNIX.

MatthewV
--